Tuesday 21 October 2008

Patterns

Well.
I just watched the film The Illusionist. Edward Norton, Jessica Biel, Rufus Sewell, Paul Gia... whatever he is called. And as soon as it finished I was disappointed. It was too obvious for my liking. It followed a certain pattern most films follow. Making the ending a total bore. To someone like me, anyway, who theorises the whole way through until the film ends and I can judge whether I was right or wrong.
This film didn't have me theorising much. I thought (sorry, spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched this movie... even if it is a few years aged), that it could either be about a man who has lost his love and so desperately wants her back that he tries to conjure her up from the 'other side' - this was a rather more romantic notion that I had hoped was true, as mushy as it may seem, it would have been more other worldly, leaving more to the imagination - especially when Edward N made his character disappear - a kind of poetic end (had it been the end), as this was his aim from the beginning of the tale. Not so much as a nugget of luck on that plot though.
Nope. Instead. It was all a ruse! AHA! I hear you cry. A ruse? No way. A film, with a twist in the plot? You are all aghast with delighted surprise, are you not? She wasn't dead after all... Just like i assumed, but didn't want. It was all a trick to bring down that dreadful, dreadful prince, who was hell bent on taking over the Empire. This would have been fine, had I not felt more compassion for him than the magician. As the prince thought he was actually in the right. He might not have been, but bless his little cotton socks for trying. The magician wanted what he gave up years ago (like most men) and so destroyed the princes' life, thus driving him to kill himself - Magician and poor little rich girl live happily ever after.
I wish it hadn't happened that way. But it made me remember. I was walking home the other day... no, this tale doesn't involve a magician or a prince. *SIGH* Wish it did... No, I was walking home when it struck me. I am in such a rut. Such a complete rut that I am sure, would I be a movie, everyone would know what I was going to say or do next. Patterns that we all follow throughout the day/ week get me down. I always think of myself as spontaneous. A free-ish spirit that no one can predict. Mysterious and unreadable by most. I fear the opposite is true. I fear everyone knows me so well that they can predict what I am going to do, or how I am going to react to something. It depresses me slightly.
Do you ever feel like that? Like you are just marching along to the same old tune? I feel like breaking out of it. Who's with me?
Do something tomorrow that you wouldn't usually do... nothing big. I ain't saying rob a bank, just... do something you might usually avoid doing, like waking up half an hour earlier to have more time in the day... ? no? too much? OK... come up with something yourselves. Let me know what you did and how it went. I need inspiration!!
I bet you think I am going to sign my name at the end of this.
I'm Not.

4 comments:

Kait said...

I'm with you!

I went out last night to Hard Rock Cafe & had a long island ice tea[talk about a strong drink...].
Anyway, so I had that warm feeling
inside & I decided to hit on the cute waiter[I NEVER do things like that].

I even got a birthday pin & I said
"I want you to pin me."
Oh boy.

I hope you become unpredictacle!

& while I did not like The Illusionist, I absolutely love Rufus Sewell. He's amazing in almost every role I've seen him in.

Gareth said...

I used to go out with a girl who had a thing for Rufus Sewell. Specifically in a Knight's Tale. Personally I'd have thought James Purefoy would be the "totty" from that movie. Shows what I know.

Anyhow on the spontaneous front I've just booked myself a weekend away to Reading in a four star hotel. It'll cost a bomb but, hey, I think I'm worth it ;)

Kait said...

A little P.S.

You should get The Gargoyle by
Andrew Davidson[as soon as you
read your others first].

I'm reading The Time Traveler's
Wife first, I'm already addicted
to it 38 pages in.

Christian H said...

Hello...

I found you because you left a comment somewhere--likey Editorial Anonymous--and I thought it was clever. Just to explain why someone you've never encountered before is commenting.

My friends, who've all seen The Illusionist while I haven't, seem to think it is better than The Prestige, which I have seen. I will want to watch it myself, first, but I've got to say I'm interested that someone does not think it as laudable.

(That being said, they claim that my latent interest in magicianry would make me more likely to enjoy The Prestige, of the two...)

I also went and read your first post to get a sense of your blog, and I must have started my blog the same way--ie. an interest in reading blogs and blogging in general. People's blogs are such fascinating things, really.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...