Friday 10 October 2008

Parisian Skies

Salut!
Well, I am officially back from Paris. Having just had a shower and unpacked etc. I am in the process of trying to sort out my pictures so that I can put them up here to show the world what I saw.
Basically, I thought Paris was brilliant! I have never wanted to go up until a few months ago when I realised I was so close to it, I might as well see what the fuss is about.... I will try to sum up what I saw (if I can remember, it all seems a lifetime ago now), and where I went...
I flew over from London (and I hate flying), to be greeted by a foreign airport, and a need to get onto a bus and find my hotel. Now, consider this. I woke up at 2am to get to the airport for 4, flight at 6, arrived in Paris at around 7, made it to the hotel at about 10ish (all in the AM), checked in, went for a wander and didn't actually go back to the hotel until... I think it was about 7 or 8 PM. Long day. especially when during that day we (me and my friend), went to wander around La Chapell and Notre dame (sorry if I spell these things wrong by the way... :P) .
Time sure does go by fast though, and I really loved it all. We climbed to the top of Notre Dame and saw all the views and the gargoyles etc. which was beautiful. We also wandered through the chapel and saw a hell of a lot of amazing architecture and stained glass windows. Although, I have to say, the architecture really was stunning. The detail in it all is just... indescribable. I hope some of the pictures do it justice - but please note that I was working on a no flash basis, and standing still is not my best talent. I am quite famous for it actually.
Lets see, what else? Oh yes, the 2nd day, which was Tuesday, was wonderful too. Me and my friend went to the Palace De Versailles and wandered around, looking at both the architecture, the old rooms, the hideous pop art that is being exhibited there at the moment by Jeff Koons - an idiotic artist who thinks putting eyesores in the middle of a palace would be good fun... humph.
We also strolled through the gardens. May I just take a moment to point out just HOW big of a place this palace is... we walked all day, and didn't even see the whole of the grounds... seriously! It was amazing!
On to the third day, Wednesday. Typically, as most women do, we went shopping. Now, I know that shopping in Paris is legendary, but I can honestly say that unless you are made of money and have the frame and build of an elegant french lady, you are screwed. All the shops we found were pretty useless when it came to clothes. In fact, I think I built it up too much. There was no more choice than there would have been here in the UK. I didn't get my winter coat. I got earrings and a beautiful bracelet from this little boutique which was run by a woman who used to be a stylist for designers like Chanel etc. She was the nicest person ever. So cute and quirky! The shop was called Loola and I would recommend it if you are thinking about going to Paris - she usually only sells in wholesale, but will sell retail if you go in and ask! ;)
Another great place to go if you love all things book like, and legendary is the Shakespeare and Company Book shop. There is a main book store next to their antique book store and its worth its weight in gold. I had to stop myself from buying anything, as I promised myself I wouldn't get any more books no matter what, after a spending spree online before I went away, but this place... you could spend days just rummaging through the stacks, finding little gems. The poetry section is second to none, as is the fiction section. There is all sorts to look at, its just knowing where to start that is a bit daunting, but its great! Honestly, go!!!
Concluding this day was a trip to the Louvre at night to see it all lit up, and we wandered around inside looking at the paintings and sculptures. We saw the Mona Lisa (overrated), but I was more interested in the painting on the wall to the side of it... I hate following the crowd! haha.
It was a beautifully constructed building though. Even if the art wasn't there, the architecture was stunning - full of curving archways and domes with murals painted every-which-way you looked. I spent more time looking at the ceilings than anything else!!!
Moving on from the Louvre was the trip to the Eiffel Tower, which again, was nicely lit up at night. All blue and sparkly. I am terrified of heights, but I went up the lift (eek) - closing my eyes on the way up so I didn't have to see the ground going bye-bye below me! But at the top it was beautiful. However, I think the tops of buildings is losing its awe for me. I have been to the tops of so many that they all start to look the same. Lights all look identical from way up high - not that I wouldn't want to look down at a city, but, I don't know. I am a bit desensitised to the excitement of it all now. :( its like when you wake up on Christmas day and realise you don't actually care if the reindeer ate the carrots you left them the night before... the magic is gone! But still, it was pretty nonetheless, and I tried to take photos and staying still was hard, as it was windy, but I got at least 1 staying still one before I just started to love the camera on purpose so that I could get the light trails!
Leaving the tower past midnight, after dinner, me and my friend headed back to the hotel and slept for a bit. Thursday was our last day, and I woke up with a killer cold, that I thought I had fought off well, but turns out I didn't... :( rubbish!
We packed and checked out, and went for a wander around the hotel area before heading to the airport - of course we stumbled onto some amazing shopping streets and restaurants. Why does that always happen on the last day??!! I finally bought something for my winter wardrobe though! It was a scarf with a hood! Genius invention. I love it so much!!
Flying back was OK, although my ears were pretty much done in on account of the pressure of my cold and the plane, and after meeting up for dinner with friends, me and my pal went back to the place we were staying and crashed! Today we travelled back from London - it took us.. oh... about 4 hours to get home. Trains can be so slow! I then had to limp from the station back to my house and my poor feet decided it was the end of the line!
Oh my feet. How I got through Paris at all is questionable. We had gone salsa dancing in London on the Saturday before we left, and I stupidly wore heels. My feet were blistered to hell before I even got to France! Still. It was an amazing trip, and I learnt a couple of things.
1. you don't go dancing before a city break.
2. Being able to say even a few words in French will get you quite far. Even if its just Bonjour, Merci, Pardon, Parle Vous English? and of course, the ever helpful Oui!
OK folks, I am going to post this, and attempt to get the link for pictures below before I head to sleepyville, population; ME.
Sorry this was so long, but thanks for sticking with it if you did read it!
Au'revoire.
Sam
EDIT: Here are some of my blurry pictures!! :)

2 comments:

Kait said...

Wow.

Paris sounds like so much fun.
I've always wanted to go to Europe,
but it is majorly expensive to
get a ticket from the US to
Europe.

The Louvre. I. am. so. jealous.
I have dreamed of going to The Louvre since I was a young teen.

I'm glad you had a great time
[& learned a little something].

chemist said...

Sam:

Welcome home from Paris ... and thanks for stopping by my blog: "Traveling Chemist" and leaving a comment. Yes, our Houston office building sure looks nice. It ought to! It was built and paid for with Enron's money ---just before that company went bankrupt. Our company then purchased that building in a "fire sale" when Enron ceased to function. I just hope our country and the rest of the world's economy does not go the same way as Enron!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...