Friday 24 October 2008

Elbows, Ears and Eyes

OMG!
(I never say OMG, I just really felt like it then..)
Anyway, back to the blog. I went to see the band Elbow
and they were good. And I don't just mean good. I mean the kind of good like when you are eating a yummy doughnut, or something, and someone asks you how it is and you reply 'GOOOOOOOOOOOD', with both delight and satisfaction.

Although I think I say this every time I come home from a gig, I will say it anyways. They were the best band I have ever seen live. The music, the singing. It was brilliant. Amazing. I would see them time and time again. It was also quite a nice atmosphere (despite the many drunks around), as they were back in their home town, Manchester, so it was kind of like a welcome home sort of thing. I really do love this band. I would highly recommend listening to them. I don't think I have ever met someone who doesnt like them. The music is beautifully written.

Just to prove how versatile they are, I can confess. My mum came with me to the gig. She loves them too. And she likes people like Hue & Cry (although, lets face it, they were great) and Will Young (everyone mum loves Will Young... something I will never understand). And OK OK, my mum does have diverse taste (for instance, she loves Prodigy), but, she is still a mum... In fact, come to think of it, there were a lorra lorra.. how to put this.. mature people (safe to say that, right?), there.

I also have to say that the support act was also spiffing. She was kooky and interesting, and had the clearest voice I have heard live. It was like silk in the air... She was called Jesca Hoop (I am listening to her right now). Gotta say, I think she was better live, than recorded. Which is a shame. Its usually the other way 'round! I love how she sounds British when she is singing, but when she speaks she has that gravley husky L.A voice, thats so cute when it comes out of a tiny girl!
My mum didn't appreciate her as much as I did though. She kept doing that thing that people do when they aren't interested, and started looking around instead. Which always bugs me. Its like when people do it at the cinema when watching a film. Puts me off totally.
Me and my mum have a strange relationship. I just can't bring myself to be nice to her often. I can hardly tolerate her. And I know its my fault. I was very proud of myself in the fact that we left the house at 6:30 and managed to still be on talking terms when we got back in at 11:30.
I am a very tolerant and laid back person. But she manages to push ALL my buttons. I know alot of people have this problem. I don't want to, but I fear I can not look past the annoyances she causes me day after day. I love her. Don't get me wrong. But....urgh! I think thats enough of that now anyway! :)
I have another gig coming up on Sunday, in a local bar. One of my brothers friends is playing. I wish that one day I have the guts to sing in public. But I doubt I ever will. I am not too good on the guitar, but I love it. I don't know if I am any good at singing either, but again. Love to do it. I don't know how people do it in public though!
I think this is all the blogging I am going to do right now. If you have any bands that you love and want to share with people, do it here!! I love finding out about bands I have never heard of!
Share and Share alike!
Sam
ps. on the doing something I don't usually do front, I still don't think I have managed it, so I am thinking this weekend I will, and I will let you know how I do trying to deviate from my usual pattern!!

1 comments:

Gareth said...

Confession time. The best gig I've ever been to was a Motley Crue concert in Cardiff about two years. I bought the tickets for my girlfriend as a gift hoping she would take someone (anyone!) else but she ended up convincing me to go.

I'll be dammed if I didn't have the best time of my life. I still don't like their music but man those mid 40's American hair metal boys can really put on a show.

Right now I'm kind of going through a 1960's rhythm and blues thing. So pretty much Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Wilson Pickett, etc. Yeah, I pretty much listen to stuff that no one else listens to.

P.S. Sorry about the gnome/nightmare thing :) And a Wendigo does look like a werewolf kinda beasty if you watch, among other things, Charmed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...