Monday 5 September 2011

Sentimental Movies for ALL!

I set this blog post up ages ago and never posted it.

As I've not been in the blogging frame of mind I figured I shouldn't write anything about anything! But I have actually quite missed scattering my thoughts out onto the not so literal page, so I'll try to remember what I was going to say about sentimental movies.

I accidentally skipped onto the family movie channel the other day. I say accidentally because I don't normally watch the family channel, unless, you know, they're showing harry potter! But I saw Hachiko: A dogs story was on so I figured I'd watch a few minutes to see how cute the dog was...

as it turns out - he's stupidly cute!
 And then I got dragged into the story. It was adorable. I don't usually like sentimental stories because I find them a little bit pointless, besides, its not cool to tear up over a dog film... but this film was actually so sad I had to turn over before it even finished. I couldn't do it to myself... I have decided I need a dog like that in my life though! Honestly, so cute and cuddly, Sam must have now!

As for other animal films I have seen of late, I saw the Rise of the Planet of the Apes - which was amazing. I didn't really want to see it, as I don't like monkey movies, but I have since seen it twice. Because it was that good, oh, and my mum wanted to see it but didn't have anyone to go with - community service done for the month! Honestly, I couldn't recommend this film more - obviously it's totally science fiction, so people who go and say 'it was a bit far fetched'... well, they aren't really in 'the zone'. Would you go to see Star Wars and say 'it's a bit far fetched? Why would Yoda float?' - No... because Yoda isn't real... and neither are the monkeys in this movie... so...

What's more impressive is the motion capture and the tech they used to film the monkeys, which were mostly played by humans in those funny suits with dots all over them. When you see the 'making of' (available on Youtube for those interested) segments, you see how amazing it really is that they are able to do what they do! Movie magic!


I also saw the new Pedro Almodovar film, The Skin I Live In - which was... different. Spanish, obviously, and I really think Spanish humor, horror and suspense films are totally different to UK or US films. They have a different view on things. As an example - at certain parts of the movie I hear a few people in the cinema laugh out loud. And I knew they had to be Spanish... turns out I was right, at the end I hear them talking and they were of Spanish blood. However, it doesn't make the film bad, it just means those little jokes that have been slotted into the film which isn't funny just aren't gotten by us lowly brits. It's not a comedy though, not in the least. The first 30 mins were actually painful because it was so boring. I was in half a mind to walk out, but I decided not to and it was worth staying, because when the penny finally drops and you have that 'OH, I get it!' moment, the film becomes 100% better. In fact, I'd watch it again now if I could. It was well played.

TV wise, I've been submerging myself into a new fandom - the world of Fringe. It's like X Files, mixed with Dark Angel and kind of CSI like - and it's superb! It's really captured my imagination and I've blitzed season 1 and going to pick up season 2 today so I can find out what happened next! Also, welcome back Joshua Jackson - long missed on my TV screen!

Apart from not blogging, and watching movies, I've been reading LOTS - and fretting about how uni starts in 1 month and I still have to buy all my books for it. It's going to be another bad month for my bank account! Boo!

Well - sorry for no colours and editing of this. Got to head out. It looks set to rain and I have a mile to walk to my fella's house, and then another mile or so to get to the shops. Yes. I am without car today. My feet are in for some abuse!

Sam

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...