Friday 16 September 2011

Boston Cream Cupcakes!

Yes, that's right. True to my word I actually took pictures of something I baked. And what a treat I made.


I got another Hummingbird bakery book a month or so ago and have been dying to try one of the new recipes. I decided the (almost) first thing I wanted to make were the Boston Cream Cupcakes. I won't bore you with all the details of how I ended up covered in icing sugar and cocoa powder... or how I managed to make about 25 cupcakes with a recipe that stated it made 12-16... What I will do is tell you what the recipe is for these delish vanilla cupcakes, which have a custard filling and chocolate frosting... try not to drool!

Cupcakes:

240g plain flour

280g caster sugar

1 tbsp baking powder

a pinch of salt

80g unsalted butter, at room temperature

240ml milk

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

Method: Just do what I do. Whack it all in a bowl and mix it together with an electric mixer! :P

Custard:

250ml Milk

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 egg yolks

50g caster sugar

1 tbsp Plain flour

1 tbsp cornflour


Method: boil the milk in a pan with the vanilla. Whisk other ingedients together in a seperate bowl. When the milk has boiled remove from heat, pour a little bit into the mixture in the bowl so that it becomes all runny - then add that mixture into the pan of mix and boil again for about a minute. You'll be able to tell when it's done because it will turn thick, like custard! Next, put it in a bowl and cover with clingfilm, leaving it until its cooled.


Frosting:

400g Icing sugar

100g cocoa powder

160g Unsalted butter

80ml Milk

Method: mix the icing sugar, cocoa powder and butter in a bowl, when its all breadcrumby, and sandy texturised gradually add the milk. IMPORTANT NOTE: this made A LOT of mixture.


After you've done it all - and the cupcakes have totally cooled - you get to start the fun bit!


You cut some holes in the tops of the cakes, scoop some custard into them, trim the top which you cut out so it fits back on and squidge it down (see pictures below for help!) - then you whack some of the amazing chocolate icing on and voila! Boston cream cupcakes!


Perfect for any occassion - I found they went very well with a movie (scarface) an a cup of coffee!

Pictures for all below:

















2 comments:

Top Style Advice said...

Aww I wish I could make these!! Im a bit useless when it comes to baking cakes. Im a good cook with the dinners thou!


Come and enter my giveaway!! :)

http://www.topstyleadvice.com/2011/09/first-giveaway-beyonce-inspired.html

xoxox

Unknown said...

Mmmm, those look delicious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...