Monday 23 May 2011

When I was young...

I just heard someone say that we are the only generation who will remember what it was like to grow up without computers and the internet etc. Which made me think... that is so true!









I remember when I was younger we didn't have a computer! Not at home anyway. My dad had a couple in his office and over the summer holidays he would bring it home for us to play on. Mostly we played solitare, or mah jong, but we also played Lotus, the computer driving game (which to this day remains one of my favorite games ever!).






Our friends would come over and play on it too, because they didn't have a computer at home. By computer I obviously mean P.C, I didn't grow up in the 70's when Pong was a massive hit or anything! jeez, I'm not that old! :P




But yeah, I totally remember that a P.C was a novelty item. Our school had one in the year 6 classroom at primary school and we would get a turn to go on it during break, or some boring lesson... I recall always playing that ski-down-the-hill game but could never ever work out how to play it without getting eaten by the Yeti... to this day I can't figure out how you were supposed to do it. Unless that was the aim? In which case I did it very well!



I also remember when we first got the internet at home. We had AOL (I don't know why) and I set up my very first email address and told my friend that I had an email account and she also had one. Well, she, coming from a family who's father worked for something like IBM, already had email, but I remember feeling so cool for being able to tell her I had one too and we could email each other! I remember chatting to people on AOL chat and it was so much fun. I also recall that time when I told my friend I had email that I needed her address and in such a NooB way - when she told me what it was, I assumed that the @ in her email was written at @T - like the symbol alone wasn't enough - that the T had to be there because it sounded like it should be... haha. I'll always feel a little bit embarrased by that! But they were the days!



The internet all of a sudden exploded and you could Internet search anything you wanted! There was a website for the Sock Shop of all things and you could go on teenchat at school and waste an hour talking to random people for the hell of it, before you even had to worry about sicko's stalking younger children! I remember hearing people say 'internet cafe' and hope it was like a virtual world where you had a little person and you could walk around and talk to people (Hey! I invented Second life! No way!) but was dissapointed to learn it was just a term for a chatroom... no coffee involved. Boo! I also remember the first time I watched a music video on the internet! Jeniffer Lopez, If you had my Love! Yeah! Recognise! I was hip, even back then!






I wonder what other bright and shiny things will be invented in the future and we will look bck and say 'I remember when we didn't have those flying auto-mobeels, we walked around or got on those buses like regular folk, and we got by!' - whilst sitting on a porch in the outback, rocking on a chair and all of a sudden turning into some old woman from a ridiculous movie.



Ah, the future holds so many possibilities!



Picture overkill? haha!

3 comments:

Gareth said...

I'm still waiting for hoverboards dammit!!

Also I have a friend who is almost ten years younger than I am and yet also an adult (a sobering thought let me tell you) and I'll talk about things like Buffy and The Fresh Prince of Bell-Air and she'll look at me as if I'm talking about things from another universe.

Bah! Kids today eh?

Helena said...

I have to admit, Sam, that the rate of technology terrifies me. We didn't actually get the internet (or computer!) until 2000. I remember working on my old Brother electronic type-writer and thinking it was the biz! What a shock I was in for...lol. Oh, and the only computer game I ever played was Pacman in 1985 and I was shit.

I do feel it's a shame that technology saw off the pleasure of pen-pals. I had a few and waiting on that thick letter coming through the door was tense. We used to include bookmarks and pictures, even bars of chocolate in letters to each other. It was a sad day when I realised it was nearing the demise of Basildon Bond!

Scumbag Sam said...

Gee, I am also still waiting on Hoverboards. I mean, come on. How hard? I'm pretty sure even I could invent those by now! and I got a D in my science GSCE's! But you're younger friend should be ashamed, Buffy and The Fresh Prince are names EVERYONE should know!

Lena, I too miss the joy of receiving letters from pen pals. I used to love writing to random people! And getting fun things in the post has sadly changed to only getting bills in the post. And the people who send them are never appreciative of my return letters, simply asking 'How are you? Got any plans for the summer?' :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...